Sunday, March 8, 2015

Bicycling in Taipei


I rode a public bicycle today from Taipei 101 to Ximen station, glancing at a compass only twice, and all the old instincts came rushing back, like a cooped-up sheepdog finally let out with the flock, singing “It’s a Small World (After All)” to Daan Park, and then switching inexplicably to “Midnight at the Oasis” for the remainder. My brain offers no choice what is voiced; it knows only that singing promotes a state of relaxed awareness — the kind needed to swim with the motorbike girls and shameless bus drivers who, as they do around the world, honk at you WHILE cutting you off. From Tucson to Taipei, they need to be thrown into re-education camps. I had so much fun, though, that I forgive them all.

2 comments:

  1. Ever switch to "Camptown Races"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going through some Tokyo footage, I discovered I sang Cheap Trick's "Surrender" for 40 minutes straight on a night ride. It's a subconscious defense mechanism. Wish it didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete